Addiscombe Railway Park’s annual Wassail will be held in their community orchard on Saturday January 26, from 2pm to 4pm.
Everyone is welcome to attend this free event.
It is recommended that you wear bright warm clothing and bring something to make noise with.
There will be music, laughter, a few cakes and a drink, and some ancient ritual which, it is hoped, will ensure a fruitful harvest later in the year.
Based on ancient pagan fertility ceremonies, the event will include traditional wassailing songs to wake up the trees in the orchard from their winter slumbers, and get the sap rising.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com