The GLL Sport Foundation is an organisation operated by Charitable Social Enterprise GLL to support talented athletes across the UK.
In 2007 GLL became aware of young talented athletes having to give up on their dreams because of the high costs of training, travel and competitions.
National research showed the annual cost of attaining high national sport rankings averaged £6,000. In many cases, talent was being lost due to financial hardship with an associated negative impact on local young people, communities and sports clubs. GLL were determined to develop a scheme to counter this problem.
The GLL Sport Foundation was launched in 2008 with the support of Sally Gunnell OBE who became the Foundation’s Patron.
Since its inception the Foundation has:
- To support young people with athletic talent to achieve their full sporting potential by reducing the financial burden of training and competition costs.
- To support young sports people from across partnerships where GLL and our partners operate sport and leisure venues, including partnerships that are recognised in England’s most deprived social and economic areas.
- To promote the positive impact of our Ambassadors within their peer groups and local communities to inspire wider sporting participation.
- To seek long-term sporting legacy and co-ordination with national talent development pathways.
- To continue the partnership with National Governing Bodies of sport via SportsAid ensuring the Foundation aligns with sporting pathways agreed within UK sport.
- To continue the partnership with localised sporting talent programmes maximising support for young sports people.
- To build partnerships and support nominated sport clubs that further their long-term sporting legacy.
- To be the largest independent athlete support schemes for talented young people striving for national and international sporting success.
To apply, before the February 20 deadline, click here
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org