Race For Life returns to Croydon, Crystal Palace and other south London venues in 2019, with the organisers offering a 30 per cent discount on entry fees for anyone who signs up in January.
Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life is a series of 5-kilometre, 10km, Pretty Muddy and Pretty Muddy Kids events which raise millions of pounds every year to help defeat cancer by funding life-saving research. In 2019, more than 400 Race for Life events will take place around the country.
Croydon’s Race for Life in Lloyd Park will take place on July 7, with the Crystal Palace event being staged in the park on July 21.
And anyone registering to take part in Race for Life events in January will get a 30 per cent discount on entry fees.
Cancer Research UK is inviting everyone in the area – women, men and children – to join the Race for Life.
Tom Dawson, Cancer Research UK’s Croydon event manager, said: “Our Race for Life events are fun, colourful, emotional and uplifting. They help people with cancer by raising money for research, including clinical trials which give patients in Croydon access to the latest treatments.
“You don’t have to be sporty to take part. You don’t need to train or compete against anyone else. All you need to do is go to the Race for Life website, pick an event, sign up and then have fun raising money in whatever way you like.
“Taking part in our Race for Life events enables like-minded people to get together and remember loved ones lost to cancer or celebrate the lives of those who have survived. At the same time, they are helping to make a difference to people with cancer, right now.
“Our Race for Life events have been women-only since they started, over 25 years ago. But we now feel the time is right to open them up so that everyone – women, men and children – has the chance to participate together.
“Nearly everyone is touched by cancer, either directly or through a loved one or friend. To make a significant difference in the fight against cancer we need to harness as much energy and commitment as possible – so what better way than involving everyone in the community in our events?
“This January, we’re urging mums, dads, nans, grandpas, brothers, sisters, friends and workmates to show their support by joining the Race for Life. It’s a perfect example of everyday people doing an extraordinary thing – uniting in a common cause to beat cancer.”
Cancer Research UK funds research to fight 200 types of cancer, thanks in large part to the money raised through the Race for Life series. The good news is more people are surviving the disease than ever before. Cancer survival in the UK has doubled since the early 1970s and Cancer Research UK’s work has been at the heart of that progress.
To enter Race for Life today visit raceforlife.org or call 0300 123 0770. And to get your 30 per cent entry discount, do it before January 31 and use the code RFL30.
The Race for Life events in and around south London in 2019 are:
- Richmond, June 2 – 5K
- Battersea, June 5 – 5K (evening race)
- Epsom, June 23 – 5K & 10K
- Croydon, July 7 – 5K & 10K
- Crystal Palace, July 21 – 5K & 10K
- Morden, August 31 – Pretty Muddy & Pretty Muddy Kids
- Clapham, September 27/28 – Pretty Muddy, Pretty Muddy Kids, 5K, 10K
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com