Croydon Scouts, in a ceremony attended by the Mayor of Croydon, Bernadette Khan, conducted a solemn memorial service at Croydon Minster on Saturday, exactly 100 years to the day after their predecessors staged a similar commemoration for the 75 Scouts from the area who had died in World War I.
Representatives from a majority of groups in the Croydon Scouting district sent adult and youth members to participate in this special memorial service led by District Chaplain Rev Andy Dovey.
Councillor Khan recited the Ode of Remembrance and then the Last Post was played on a bugle by Graham Baker, one of Croydon’s Cub Scout leaders.
Wreaths were laid by Colonel Ian Robbie, the Mayor of Croydon and Greg Cook, the Scouts District Commissioner.
The congregation then witnessed 75 young people from Croydon Scouting each bringing up a wooden poppy cross each bearing the name of one of the Scouts who gave their lives in the Great War.
Steve French, one of the organisers of the service, said, “Sincere thanks to everybody who attended and those involved in the preparation and delivery of this service. I feel it was a most fitting tribute to those former Scouts who paid the ultimate sacrifice.”
- Click here to find out more about the role of local Scouts in the civil defence of Croydon during WWI
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com