African Child Trust – ACT – is a UK-registered charity, based in Croydon, which works in Africa to relieve poverty and advance development through the education of disadvantaged children and the empowerment of widows.
ACT operates across eight African countries: Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Burkina Faso, Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo and Nigeria. They have provided more than 5,000 children with either full scholarships or welfare support to buy necessary school equipment, such as book and uniforms. They have also helped more than 1,000 widows by providing them with income support or entrepreneurial training which has enabled them to generate their own sustainable income. Alongside all this, ACT runs regular projects that benefit whole communities across Africa.
The ACT Charity Art Exhibition on Wednesday February 27 at The Norwood School comes from ACT’s Youth Idea initiative.
Youth Idea aims to provide International Development Experience and Awareness (IDEA) by engaging their interest in the work ACT does. The art produced by pupils across years 7-9 is their interpretation of this work and what it means to them.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com