Lloyd Park’s Parkrun runners – at least those who had not scooted north to Leeds for the National cross-country – had a special treat on Saturday as Co-op, the local community retailer, handed out free recipe boxes containing healthy food products.
Last Saturday, 217 people, and friends of Oscar-winner Olivia Colman, ran, jogged and walked the course. Of those, 43 were first-timers and 24 recorded personal bests around the five-kilometre course which, because of its hills and stubborn muddiness, has been rated as the toughest Parkrun inside the M25.
As they all got their breath back, every runner and all volunteers received recipe advice and food inspiration in a bid to create a healthier and happier community through physical activity, food and lifestyle.
Co-op Food is the first retail supporter of Parkrun UK, which supports volunteers in more than 520 communities around the country to coordinate the free, timed, 5k events every Saturday morning.
The Co-op’s #HealthySwaps campaign aims to get as many people as possible to make a small change to their everyday lifestyle choices. With more than 2,500 food stores across the UK, Co-op sit at the heart of the community – just like Parkrun.
For more information on their #HealthySwaps campaign, please visit www.co-operativefood.co.uk/parkrun.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com