New era for Old Boys’ club as Midwives re-name as Trinity RFC

Old-Midwhitgiftians rugby club staged a short ceremony at the club’s Lime Meadow Avenue clubhouse in Sanderstead on Saturday to formally mark the start of a new era, going into its 91st season as Trinity Rugby Football Club.

The name change was approved by the RFU blazers at Twickenham earlier this year, as club officials Bruce Jupp and Russell Jones were on hand at the club on June 1 to mark the occasion formally.

The club was founded in 1926 as Old Mid-Whitgiftian RFC by the old boys of Whitgift Middle School in Croydon. In 1955, that became Trinity School of John Whitgift.

Now, 64 years later, the club has caught up with the name change, though they seem unlikely to shake off at least one of the club’s nicknames: “The Mids” or “The Midwives”. The lovely new club badge unveiled on Saturday includes a nodding reference to their history, with a Latin motto for what might be loosely translated as “We came from the Midwives”.

Jupp, the club president, said, “The change of name has often been mooted over the years, but players at the time were keen to keep the link to the school’s former name. We felt now was well past time for the club to reflect its direct links with Trinity School, which is one of the best rugby-playing schools in the south of England.”

Earning their stripeys: Trinity RFC officials Bruce Jupp and Russell Jones unveil the club’s new name

Club chairman Jones explained that there were several reasons for introducing the new name. “We are a friendly, open club and attract players from all across south London and Surrey. But most importantly we want to reflect our close ties with Trinity School.

“At the same time, it at last helps distinguish us from our close neighbours and friendly rivals Old Whitgiftians (the old boys of Whitgift School). Hopefully, our new name also helps avoid any confusion for opposition teams, supporters and even referees who have sometimes in the past arrived at the wrong ground!”

Trinity runs three regular XVs, including a veterans team, they have a thriving junior Section, now known as the Trinity Titans, and this summer they are launching a women’s team. The club’s first XV play in Surrey 1 (where they finished last season in seventh place) and they were finalists in last season’s Surrey Cup.

More details about Trinity RFC can be found via

About insidecroydon

News, views and analysis about the people of Croydon, their lives and political times in the diverse and most-populated borough in London. Based in Croydon and edited by Steven Downes. To contact us, please email
This entry was posted in Old Mid-Whitgiftians/Trinity RFC, Rugby Union, Sanderstead, Sport and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply