If you’re aged 14-19, live in Croydon and are an aspiring dancer or music-maker, you’re invited to audition for Assemble on Sunday, June 23.
The auditions will take place from 1pm to 4pm at Oasis Academy Shirley Park School, Shirley Road, Croydon CR9 7AL.
You’ll be able to meet other like-minded young people with a view to making work together which you’ll eventually perform live on stage at the Fairfield Halls in October.
The auditions will be overseen by composer Shri Sriram and choreographer Jose Agudo.
Assemble is a new and free project for emerging dancers and music-makers aged from 14 to 19 in Croydon, led by Drum The Bass, the locally based production company, and Dance Umbrella, the UK’s biggest and longest running international contemporary dance festival.
Successful applicants will be provided with the opportunity to work collaboratively with other young artists across dance and music, enhance their composition and choreographic skills and, over nine workshops, create new works together for a public performance as part of Dance Umbrella’s Fairfield Halls Takeover.
Sriram said, “Assemble is about putting together aspects of dance and music and the way they work together to draw from, enhance and propel the other. At the audition, we’re hoping to see lots of enthusiastic and curious young musicians and dancers who have or would like to have a strong and positive experience in collaborative composition and performance. The invitation is open to any and all types, styles, concepts and practices of music and dance.
“Jose Agudo and I will run the participants through a series of simple exercises to give them a feel of what’s to come and to emphasise how much fun this learning process will be. We’re keen to choose participants based on their talent and collaborative spirit. The aim is to select eight musicians and eight dancers in order to create two collaborative groups of both musicians and dancers, so we need lots of young people at the audition!
“Once we’ve decided on the teams of participants, we’ll work together over nine more sessions to create two pieces of work which will be performed at the Fairfield Halls on October 19.”
- If you want to support independent local journalism, based in Croydon, sign up today as an Inside Croydon supporter. For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here for more details
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org