Art is one of the many therapies offered at the South East Cancer Help Centre in Purley, and an exhibition of some of the work produced has just opened at the café in the Croydon Clocktower.
“These two large panels were created by our members over a period of six weeks,” said art teacher, Jacqueline Davies.
“A range of flowers and foliage were drawn and painted using watercolours and pencil.
“Everyone was encouraged to respond to something they liked and to draw or paint it as large as possible.
“The aim of the project was to create a collaborative picture, working alongside others to create a harmonious, fluid piece. The conversation naturally developed about possible compositions, techniques and processes.
“It was excellent to see how confident everyone became after the first session. Each week, the work evolved into a colourful range of natural forms and more experimental techniques were used as everyone gained confidence. It was also an ideal way to welcome new members to the Centre and to encourage those less confident about mark-making.
“Everyone enjoyed the creative process and it was an excellent way of bringing the group together.”
The exhibition is next to the Clocktower café which is located at 9 Katharine Street, Croydon, CR9 1ET and is open between 9am and 5 pm until August 30.
- Become an Inside Croydon supporter today. For £5 per month enjoy access to exclusive content like the Under The Flyover podcasts, as well as money-saving special offers, while helping to support the borough’s only independent news outlet.
- Click here for more details
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org