Stefan Edberg, the former Wimbledon tennis champion, was in Croydon recently to preside over the relaunch of the David Lloyd Purley health and fitness club following a £2.5million investment in new and improved facilities.
Edberg, the Wimbledon winner in 1988 and 1990 as well as four other Grand Slam titles, provided a tennis masterclass with groups of club members, before joining in with a club social barbeque.
Michel van Heerden, the general manager of David Lloyd Purley, said: “The members were a bit star-struck with Stefan Edberg coaching in our club!
“We all had a great evening at the launch event, especially the coaching with Stefan and the barbeque afterwards. The members are thrilled with all the changes to the club – with the new Spa Retreat we are offering a space for members to really enhance their well-being, while fitness enthusiasts love the upgraded tennis facilities. The spa being the perfect destination for local residents to spend their leisure time.
“This significant investment ensures that David Lloyd Clubs continue to offer its members the very best premium health club facilities.”
The refurbishment included a brand new luxury indoor and outdoor spa, the addition of the latest boutique-style fitness class, called Blaze, and upgraded tennis facilities.
The spa area now features hydro pools, saunas including a warm Finnish and a Himalayan salt sauna, crystal and citrus steam rooms, feature showers, a plunge pool, ice station, relaxation beds and hanging pods.
The outdoor spa garden is a stylish addition to the club, set to be a key destination to melt away stress. With a bubbling hydro pool, external sauna cabin, the garden is an ideal spot for members to rest their mind and body on a summer’s day.
The club says, “Members can enjoy stargazing from the outdoor hydro pool or by the fire pit and enjoy the outdoor sauna, whatever the season. Those seeking sanctuary in the luxury spa can explore the variety of areas to unwind for a post-workout reboot or a whole day of blissful relaxation.”
The tennis facilities have also received an important upgrade, with premium LED lighting on the indoor courts.
The classes offered to members have also been upgraded, and now David Lloyd Clubs’ unique high-intensity interval training class, called Blaze, has launched in Purley.
Set in its own purpose-built studio, Blaze combines cardio training with strength and combat to give an all-round intense workout. David Lloyd claims that, “It is a highly motivating class with the help of high-energy soundtracks and lights to signal moving on to the next station. Participants will enjoy being part of a community brought together with the help of Myzone heart-rate monitoring which encourages those in the class to reach their fitness goals.”
David Lloyd Purley also offers DL Kids Facilities with more than 30 hours of inclusive junior sessions each week, squash courts, adults and kids swimming pools, group exercise studios including a dedicated cycling studio, a Clubroom café bar, crèche and free members wifi, as well as staging regular social events including comedy nights, firework displays, kids’ discos and sporting events.
For further information, go to www.davidlloyd.co.uk/club-finder/purley
- Become an Inside Croydon supporter today. For £5 per month enjoy access to exclusive content like the Under The Flyover podcasts, as well as money-saving special offers, while helping to support the borough’s only independent news outlet.
- Click here for more details
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org