Catherine Southon has quickly become one of the country’s favourite television antique experts, with her frequent appearances on the BBC’s Bargain Hunt and, more recently, with her packed auction house featured on Make Me A Dealer.
But behind the TV facade of touring the countryside in vintage motors looking for hidden gems among the bric a brac to try to make as big a profit lies a shrewd judge of art and a canny businesswoman who over the past decade has built up Catherine Southon Auctioneers into one of the leader brands in its field.
And next week, gavel in hand, Southon will be running the latest of her regular auctions staged at Farleigh Golf Club in Selsdon, with a massive selection of fine art and other items for sale.
As she was busily making arrangements for next week’s sale, Southon popped Under The Flyover to be the latest guest interviewee for Inside Croydon’s podcast, previewing her auction and offering our readers and listeners advice on what to look for, or what to bring down from the attic, dust-off and put up for sale.
Next Wednesday’s auction includes an unusual lot, a model sculpture of Sir Winston Churchill, commissioned by friends and neighbours of the wartime leader in Westerham, close to his Chartwell home, and used as the basis of the statue which now stands on Westerham green. The statue is expected to fetch up to £10,000.
But at the other end of the price scale, the auction includes collectors’ items which could go for less than £50.
The Catherine Southon interview is a special bonus edition of Under The Flyover, available to all our readers.
Usually, our podcasts, co-produced with Tim Longhurst, formerly of Croydon Radio, now behind NowCroydon, are intended to be bonus content to complement our website reporting and features, reserved exclusively for subscribers to the site.
For just £5 per month, you will get access to our podcasts, as well as regular offers and other Inside Croydon-organised events and competitions.
And you will also be helping to support the only independent and award-winning news outlet still based in Croydon.
Make sure that you don’t miss out: click here and sign up today and start to receive the benefits of being an Inside Croydon patron.
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org