The South East Cancer Help Centre is calling on local shops, businesses, schools, organisations and residents to hold purple-themed fundraising events or activities and share their efforts on social media as part of its annual fund-raising and awareness month, which runs right through October.
The charity has several fundraising events planned, beginning with the official opening event at Tesco Purley, to be attended by the local MP, Chris Philp.
There’s also a Dog Jog on October 19 in Crystal Palace, a race night, and a performance by the Croydon Philharmonic Choir on October 26.
The fund-raising volunteers will be collecting at Tesco with a new Spin To Win wheel (courtesy of Bolt Burdon Kemp Solicitors) most Fridays and Saturdays in October.
“We will help you run your own events such as having a dress down day at work or a cake sale, while all the local schools are once again being invited to take part in purple mufti days,” according to SECHC fund-raiser Natalie Mulcahy.
“Get as many of your friends and family as possible to come along to one of our events and help raise funds while enjoying a night out,” she said.
SECHC chairman Jennifer Mollett said, “Last year it was great to see people smiling at the yarn bombing and hear schoolchildren explaining to their families and friends why SECHC had turned the trees purple.
“As we receive no government funding events like this are our life blood and it is a great way for local people to support their local charity whilst having fun. We are hoping to see everyone wear a splash of purple during the month and I am hoping to meet as many people as possible at the events being held.”
To get an awareness pack or for more information, please call Natalie Mulcahy on 020 8668 0974 or email email@example.com
- Inside Croydon has been digging out the news stories that those in power don’t want you to know about since 2010. Help us continue to do that, and for £5 per month get access to our Under The Flyover podcast, plus benefit from money-off offers and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org