Prepare to be dazzled – the final Catherine Southon auction of the year, right before Christmas, has one of the best selection of glittering jewellery going under the TV antiques expert’s hammer.
The auction, at Farleigh Golf Club, Selsdon, on November 27, is offering up for sale some precious gems across a range of prices.
From an Art Deco enamel butterfly brooch which carries an auction estimate of £60, through to the inch-long lozenge-shaped 18ct jade and diamond Art Deco ring – a favourite of Southon herself – expected to sell for something over £500, through to the somewhat pricier diamond drop earrings, which have a sale estimate of £4,000 to £6,000, or an Art Deco panel clip brooch expected to sell for more than £3,000.
Barbara Dixon, the head of jewellery at Catherine Southon Auctioneers, said, “With elegance, quality and a sprinkling of humour running throughout the jewellery section, there really are some fabulous pieces in this sale and it’s been fun to catalogue knowing that lots of these pieces are going to be given as ‘that special gift’ this Christmas.”
The sale is also set to include a private collection of cufflinks, including a pair in Lalique glass and silver with a mermaid image, estimated at £100 to £150.
Elsewhere in the sale, there’s an early 20th century Westminster Bank sign, in wrought iron and painted blue enamel to both sides, which used to adorn a bank in Chislehurst. It goes into the auction with an estimate of £60 to £80.
Farleigh Golf Club is just down the hill from Selsdon, at CR6 9PE. Entry to the auction is free – though bidding won’t be – and all the items on sale can be seen during the viewing day on November 26 from 9am to 5pm, and the next morning, ahead of the auction itself.
- Inside Croydon has been digging out the news stories that those in power don’t want you to know about since 2010. Help us continue to do that, and for £5 per month get access to our Under The Flyover podcast, plus benefit from money-off offers and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com