An artist who has spent much of the past decade sketching and painting scenes from in and around Croydon has launched an online presence which will make his work more readily accessible to the public.
Roland Nissan lived for nearly 30 years in Croydon before recently moving to East Grinstead.
This urban sketcher tends to concentrate mainly on buildings and street scenes, and his work sometimes sells on the streets even before they are completed.
Nissan believes sketching on-site is the best way to capture a real feel for the scene, although he is just as happy to work from photographs that he gets sent for commissions. He is proud that his work has been noticed around the world due to his exposure on social media and local press, with his paintings sold as far away as the Philippines, Australia and the United States.
Having recently given up his job in IT management for a publishing company in London, Nissan wants to concentrate on his art and sketching.
As well as working for fun and commissions, Roland has a few projects up his sleeve that will help to get his work seen more. His 2020 East Grinstead calendar is selling well and he’s working on a book of his sketches to be published next year.
Roland has been building his website www.rolandnissanart.com where some examples of his work can be seen:.
- Inside Croydon: the only local news source based in the borough. Help to support our journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon Events: click here for details of hundreds of events in and around Croydon
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com