Two weeks after cancelling their programme of films for the duration of the coronavirus lockdown, the good people at the Save the David Lean Cinema Campaign have come up with an ingenious way to help their movie-watching friends get a daily dose of the best of the big screen, plus some top-class theatre and ballet, too.
Self-isolating, the campaigners say, “will very likely be inducing a feeling of cabin fever”.
And they add, “For those who wish to keep their film-viewing habit going, we have provided some ‘alternative viewing’ on the home page of our website which we hope will be of help. This is a collection of classic films, and theatre and opera screenings available over the next five weeks.”
A visit to the David Lean Cinema’s website home page shows an ingenious guide through the welter of TV listings, starting off with the times and channels on which to watch Tom Courtney and Julie Christie tonight in Billy Liar.
But the David Lean Cinema listings recommend that you make use of more than just your television remote control, as they flag up performances from the National Theatre, Royal Opera House and National Ballet (for which you need a smart TV, or to watch online).
In these difficult times, major arts venues have organised themselves to record performances which would otherwise have had to be cancelled – for example, Broadway hit One Man, Two Guvnors, featuring James Corden (as if he is not on our screens enough already), can be streamed into your home from the South Bank.
The David Lean Cinema volunteers say that they will try to keep the guide going for the duration of the lockdown. Thing is, it could yet prove to be such a popular service, they might have to make it a permanent fixture – though obviously not with recommendations on the nights when they are screening a movie at the Clocktower.
- Help support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019