The country might be on lockdown, but the volunteers and specialists at the South East Cancer Help Centre in Purley are continuing to provide a wide range of counselling and activities – but they are doing it all online.
With the SECHC in Purley closed and its regular activities at the Wellness Centre at Croydon University also curtailed due to covid-19, the charity is offering a range of online and interactive services to its members.
“We are living in unprecedented times with everyone feeling the impact of covid-19,” said SECHC chairman Jennifer Mollett.
“In addition to the stress of living under this pandemic our members also have to cope with the fact that the viability of their or their loved ones’ treatment may be compromised by the consequences of this virus.
“As soon as the decision was made to close our doors our staff, therapists, counsellors and volunteers approached me about ways we could continue to support our members online and I am pleased to announce that we now have a comprehensive range of online services available.”
Online and interactive services provided by SECHC include telephone and online counselling, nutritional advice, pilates, seated yoga, guided relaxation, tai chi and distance reiki.
SECHC’s Ovarian Cancer Support Group has also created an online forum and some of SECHC’s other support groups will be coming online shortly.
“I would like to thank this country’s keyworkers who are working diligently on the frontline and who are seeing us through this awful period. I would like to think that SECHC is contributing to their valiant efforts,” Mollett said.
For more information about how SECHC could help you or someone you care about
If you would like to sponsor a member, therapist, online service, or make a donation towards a therapy session please go to www.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/c19appeal or contact Natalie Mulcahy.
- Help support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019