A member of Croydon Council staff, Asha Walrond, has died of coronavirus, it was announced today.
Walrond worked at New Addington’s Timebridge Community Centre as a customer service assistant.
She is believed to be the first council employee in Croydon to lose their life to the virus.
Walrond’s death comes just 24 hours after it was announced that a New Addington-based paramedic, Ian Reynolds, had died from covid-19.
The council has so far refused to answer any questions about how many members of its staff have had to self-isolate or have contracted covid-19. At least four elected councillors are known to have been forced to self-isolate after showing symptoms of the deadly virus.
The council has not published a press release with any details of the circumstances, although it did post a tweet which stated, “We are very much saddened by the death of our colleague Asha Walrond, who made a real difference to so many residents as a customer service assistant at the Timebridge Centre, New Addington.
“Thoughts are with her loved ones and the Town Hall flag will fly at half-mast to remember Asha.”
And Tony Newman, the council leader, also tweeted: “We have lost too many and yesterday Asha Walrond, a much-loved member of [Croydon Council] staff, who worked at both the Timebridge Centre and our customer services passed away. RIP Asha.”
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019