This month marks the 20th anniversary of the first fare-paying passenger services to run on the Croydon Tram network, and to help our loyal readers celebrate, we have a copy of the recently published Croydon Tramlink, A Definitive History, by Gareth David (RRP £30) to give away to the winner of our latest competition, which is exclusively for Inside Croydon subscribers.
You can read Ken Towl’s review of the book by clicking here.
To get on the right track to be able to enter this tantalisingly tricky tram quiz, you must be signed up as an Inside Croydon patron. Click here for more details.
For a modest monthly subscription, iC patrons help support the independent, exclusive and investigative journalism that has been produced by this website for the past 10 years. We’ve won awards, we’ve exposed corruption and we’ve uncovered misdeeds.
And now, more than ever, we need your support – in return for which (under normal circumstances), we also offer a series of rewards including discounts on tickets, priority bookings for special events and, as with this, exclusive prize competitions.
We hope, later in the year, to invite Gareth David to give an illustrated talk for Inside Croydon readers about his book, and the Tramlink network. In the meantime, you have the chance to take part in this testing competition…
To win the copy of Croydon Tramlink, you need to answer three questions. The first entrant with all three answers correct to be drawn from the Editor’s big hat after the competition closing date will win the book.
So, the questions…
- On what date did the first passenger-carrying Croydon Tramlink services begin (we need day, month and year)?
- Which former ITN newscaster is known as “The Voice of Tramlink”, providing the recorded announcements heard on the trams?
- Alphabetically, what tram stop comes first?
Email your answers, together with your name, address and daytime contact phone number, and with “Croydon Tramlink competition” in the subject field, to firstname.lastname@example.org before our deadline of noon on Monday, June 1.
To sign up to become an Inside Croydon patron, and discover more about the money-saving special offers you qualify for while also supporting this website’s ground-breaking journalism, just click here.
There are no alternative prizes, and Inside Croydon usual competition Ts & Cs apply.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019