Millwood Servicing is the latest firm to sign up as a Patron of Croydon’s Legacy Youth Zone, committing £75,000 over three years to support the new centre’s activities.
Opened on Whitehorse Road last September, the Legacy Youth Zone is a £6.5million purpose-built youth facility that provides access to an indoor climbing wall, sports hall, fully equipped gym, an arts and crafts studio, music room with recording studio, training kitchen, a 3G football pitch, dance and drama studio – all for just £5 annual membership and 50p per visit.
As a Founder Patron of the charity, Millwood Servicing as pledged to donate £25,000 to Legacy each year for the next three years, which will go directly towards supporting thousands of young people from Croydon to meet new people, develop their skills, experience new opportunities and enjoy their leisure time in a safe and inspiring environment.
The Youth Zone will also work with partner organisations to deliver enterprise and employability workshops, which will help get young people into education, employment or training.
Legacy Youth Zone is run by OnSide Youth Zones for Croydon Council, and is supported by several local businesses and philanthropists.
The Zone already has 5,500 members signed up.
Millwood Servicing is a family-run company, based in Wallington, which provides award-winning fire safety engineering. Matt Wood, the company’s owner, said, “We are passionate about investing in our people and their skills ensuring all employees can fulfil their individual potential, to empower and dream big.
“As a Founder Partner, we now have the opportunity and privilege to invest in our local youth and in doing so, help create a brighter future. We believe OnSide’s Legacy Youth Zone will make a tremendous difference to the lives of young people by providing them with somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to and we look forward to seeing our community flourish as a result.”
- This piece of local news reporting was brought to you without a penny of subsidy from the BBC or any local councils. If you want to support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019
Excellent! Millwood deserves our thanks — supporting activities like these for young people has got to be good for the young people and their ( and our) futures. Let’s hope that many other Croydon businesses will follow where Millwood are leading!