A café at the heart of the community in Sanderstead is calling on its customers and neighbours to help to raise funds for a special “Thank You” party for the Critical Care Team at Mayday Hospital.
During the covid -19 lockdown Priscilla’s Tea Room, next to the Sanderstead recreation ground, have been working with their customers to provide support for NHS staff. Customers raised funds to help buy personal protective equipment for the hospital including masks, sanitisers and hand creams for staff.
The donations also included treats including doughnuts and drinks to help the hospital staff through their shifts.
Now Pricilla’s Tea Room, run by, is helping with a second fundraising project.
“The aim is to offer a night of relaxation and pampering for the Critical Care Team,” the Ashtons say.
They are looking to stage the party night at the De Vere Estate Hotel, Selsdon, and in conjunction with other local businesses who have pledged to donate their services and products, they are seeking to offer NHS staff massages and beauty treatments, Boogie Bounce exercise class, table magic and Tarot readings, plus a meal and drinks, with a DJ and disco.
The event will be staged once government guidelines on public gatherings allow.
“We are now aiming to raise enough money to cover costs for them to celebrate all that they have achieved over the last few months, helping local people to recover from covid-19, and holding the hands of those less fortunate in their final moments,” the Ashtons say.
“We’re not able to confirm a date for this yet (for obvious reasons!) but we’d love to get started planning a get together for our wonderful NHS friends.”
The fundraising appeal has a target of £3,000, and donations can be made by clicking here.
- 2010 to 2020: Inside Croydon has been delivering local community service and local community news for 10 years. To support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019
A brilliant idea from a caring local community asset, we could do with a lot more like them!