Two boys from a prep school in South Croydon have been picked to play for England in one of the world’s largest football tournaments.
Elmhurst School’s Javahn Woode (Year 6) and Daniel Kaminski (Year 5) were selected from 250 triallists to represent the Prep Schools’ Lions at the Gothia World Cup in Sweden in July 2021.
Each year, around 1,700 teams from 80 nations take part in the Gothia World Cup in Gothenburg, playing 4,500 matches on 110 pitches around the city.
Woode is a member of the under-11s academy at West Ham. Kaminski was selected, despite being a year younger than most of the boys in the squad. The boys were nominated by Phil Venier, the head of sport at Elmhurst School.
“I am absolutely delighted that both boys have been selected to represent the Prep Schools’ Lions,” Venier said. “It is amazing to know that out of 250 trialists not one but two Elmhurst School pupils were chosen.
“I knew that Javahn would be one to watch when he came first in the 60metre final of the Independent Schools’ Association national championships back in 2019.”
Tony Padfield, the school’s headteacher, said, “Sport plays a key role in the Elmhurst School life, providing our boys with teamwork and leadership opportunities which they can then apply back into their learning here at the school.
“I am so proud of the sporting success that the pupils at Elmhurst School have accomplished to date.
“This is a wonderful achievement and I wish both pupils the best of luck. We will be cheering them on at Elmhurst!”
Elmhurst, on South Park Hill Road, has around 170 pupils, aged from three to 11. It is part of the Bellevue Education group, which includes 21 schools based across Europe.
- 2010 to 2020: Inside Croydon has been delivering local community service and local community news for 10 years. To support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019