Firefighters yesterday tackled a flat fire on Laurel Grove in Penge which is believed to have been caused by using an electrical appliance on a bed.
No one was seriously hurt, but a man was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews after suffering from smoke inhalation after he was rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Half of a bedsit on the ground floor of a three-storey residential building was damaged by the fire, which is being treated as accidental and involved a table fan placed on the bed.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It’s important to make sure electrical devices and appliances are always used on hard flat surfaces where heat can dissipate.
“Using them on a fabric surface can result in a lack of airflow and can cause them to overheat.”
The Brigade was called at 11.20am and the fire was under control at 12.05pm.
Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Forest Hill, Woodside and West Norwood were in attendance.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content. Our comments policy can be read by clicking here
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine