Ikea’s rainbow cake is back on sale in its restaurants across the country, including Croydon.
The rainbow-layered, limited-edition cake marks Ikea’s ongoing support of LGBTQ+ communities, with 100per cent of profits donated to Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline, one of Britain’s longest-running charities serving the LGBTQ+ community, who provide a safe and confidential helpline listening service on the phone, instant message and email.
The rainbow cakes first went on sale in 2022, raising £38,000 for Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline.
In an announcement from the company at the start of Pride month, Ikea said that the company “is committed to creating an inclusive and safe workplace and society for all and understands that open conversation is paramount to fostering this environment”.
The cake goes on sale alongside Ikea’s Storstomma rainbow bag, which is available all-year round with 100per cent of profits donated to LGBTQ+ charities and initiatives across Britain and Ireland.
“We are proud to be able to support our LGBTQ+ co-workers and customers year-round, but especially during Pride month,” said Ikea’s Karen Hughes.
“Our rainbow cake allows us to contribute to Switchboard once again and support the invaluable work they do for the LGBTQ+ community.”
And Stephanie Fuller, the CEO at Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline, explained that the sales of the cake were helping to pay for a new freephone support line. The freephone number ensures “that cost would never be a barrier for anyone getting the support they need from our trained listening volunteers”, Fuller said.
The rainbow cake is on sale in Ikea restaurants for £2.95 per slice until the end of June. For more information, visit: www.IKEA.co.uk/lgbt
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine