The Hope in Carshalton, the community-run pub with a village-feel, is not just the best pub in Croydon and Sutton, it’s the best pub in the whole of London.
And that’s official. Again.
CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, has announced The Hope as its choice as the Greater London Regional Pub of the Year .
That’s the sixth time in 12 years that the pub on West Street has won the accolade. And the pub has only been run by its community-based company for 13 years…
The story of The Hope is a feel-good (especially after the second pint…) tale of triumph over adversity, with the locals coming together to save their local when it was under threat of closure and, bit by bit, building a thriving business, drawing customers from miles around through the pub’s no-nonsense, old-school offer: good beer, good food, reasonable prices and friendly company.
Having bought the freehold of the pub in 2015, extensive improvements have been carried out at the pub over the past five years, as well as struggling through all the challenges of covid lockdowns.
Now, The Hope is operating close to “normal” once again, with regular real ale festivals and events – with two coming up in September, starting with the Carshalton Straw Jack (think blokes in top hats with bells tied round their ankles) on Saturday, September 2.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine