Around 60 people had to be evacuated from their homes on London Road last night when one of their neighbouring flats in the block had a serious fire.
Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters were called to the incident in a seven-storey block on the main route, not far from Mayday Hospital.
Half of a three-roomed flat on the third floor of the building was destroyed by fire.
According to the London Fire Brigade, “One person left the flat and was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.”
The Brigade was called at 10.30pm and the fire was under control by 10.53pm.
Fire crews from Croydon, Norbury, Woodside, Mitcham, Wallington, Wimbledon and Beckenham fire stations were in attendance.
The fire brigade says that the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine