Inside Croydon‘s loyal reader has climbed the 47 storeys of Inside Croydon Towers to shove a copy of this week’s Sutton Guardian through our digital letterbox, with a pink Post-It note stuck on the outside, directing us to the letters page.
“I wonder whether Viridor recall the article “Viridor accuse objectors of scaremongering” in the Berwickshire News, 20 February 2008?
“That article, which attacked Dr van Steenis and myself started as follows: ‘Claims that infant mortality rates in East Lothian and Berwickshire will soar if a waste combined heat and power incinerator is built at Oxwellmains, near Dunbar, have been described as “scaremongering” and “totally irresponsible” by the company wanting to build the plant’.
“Now that the Sutton Guardian (7 March 2013) has printed my letter about the rising infant death rates in the London Boroughs of Lewisham, Newham, and Tower Hamlets following the start-up of the SELCHP incinerator in 1993, I should be grateful if Viridor would acknowledge that ONS data shows that Dr van Steenis and I were right in 2008 and that the alleged ‘scaremongering’ was ‘truthmongering’.”
Good point well made.
On the matter of “scaremongering”, we wonder whether Mr Ryan is familiar with the Croydon Conservatives’ leaflet, reproduced above, which was distributed in Waddon three years ago, which accused the local Green and Labour parties of scaremongering on the incinerator issue, adding, “…whilst Croydon Conservatives control the council, there will not be an incinerator (or anything similar) in Croydon.”
They then added, in bold italics for extra emphasis: “And that’s a promise.”
And about as reliable as a lasagne made with Romanian “beef”.
- MEPs condemn “dangerous” Beddington incinerator proposals
- Incinerator campaigners ask: WHO is Gavin Barwell?
- Wake up Waddon: this really is a £1bn incinerator
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UK incinerator plans? They’re just rubbish. (independent.co.uk)