Does Croydon have a childhood obesity crisis? Ever wondered why?
This sign was spotted outside a discount clearance shop on St George’s Walk this morning.
Fairfield, in which this shop making this offer is to be found, is the Croydon ward where childhood obesity levels are worst in the borough (according to 2012 figures), where 43 per cent of Year 6 pupils are obese or overweight.
Fairfield also happens to have the greatest density of fast food outlets in Croydon.
In 2010 – four years ago – Croydon Joint Strategic Needs Assessment published a report in which one of its key recommendations was that the council should “… make use of existing planning mechanisms to regulate the numbers of fast food outlets in key locations, such as close to schools”.
Although the report was instigated with the agreement of the Conservative-controlled council cabinet in 2009, Croydon Council has done little, if anything, to implement that recommendation of the report.
The report also said, “Being overweight or obese is associated with an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Being obese also has an adverse impact on personal wellbeing. It has been estimated that the cost of obesity to the NHS is approximately £4.2 billion per year.”
That’s an awful lot of £1.50 “meal” deals.
Coming to Croydon
- This War! St Gertrude’s Theatre group, Feb 19-22
- Welsh myths children’s event, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Mr Pooter comes to Croydon, Feb 20-22
- Warm and Well event, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 22
- Croydon Male Voice Choir concert, Feb 22
- Stop the Incinerator fund-raiser, Feb 24
- Fairtrade Film night, Antenna Cafe, Haynes Lane, Feb 27
- Fairtrade event, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 1
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Patchwork and quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 3
- Fairtrade stall at Food Market, Haynes Lane, Mar 8
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Mar 15
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- South Norwood Lakes Playground group workshop, Mar 25
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 516,649 page views (Jan-Dec 2013)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org