Those masters of misinformation at Taberner House have surpassed themselves on this occasion, as ANDREW RENDLE reports
Perhaps the Conservatives who control Croydon Council are scared of tomorrow’s Mayoral and Greater London Assembly elections, but there has been a serious misunderstanding of the date of said elections. Calendars can be such difficult things to understand sometimes…
As you will see from the screen grab above, the council’s highly paid and professionally run website staff have tried to impart to anyone who happens to visit the site that the London elections are on May 4. This despite the fact that someone with a decent 2012 diary will be able to confirm in less than 30 seconds that that date is in fact a Friday.
Just so no resident is in any way confused, Inside Croydon is happy to assure you that we can all exercise our democratic right to vote tomorrow, on Thursday, May 3, 2012.
Putting aside any legal issues that may arise from this latest Croydon Council cock-up, it does make you wonder about our council’s attitude to the democratic principle and process.
After all, we have been lead to believe that it was a lack of organisational skills that left hundreds of Croydon residents unable to cast their votes in the 2010 General Election and council elections, without any sanction for the man in charge, council CEO Jon Rouse.
And it was the Rouse-led council that opted to move the count – and therefore public money to pay for the hire – from Fairfield Halls in central Croydon out to Trinity School, whose board of governors is chaired by Conservative MP Gavin Barwell and also includes Dudley Mead, the deputy leader of the Conservative group on Croydon Council.
- Inside Croydon: brought to you from the heart of the borough, free of charge, an independent voice standing for freedom of speech for the people of Croydon
- Croydon stops LibDem Paddick from using a public library (insidecroydon.com)
- Candidate has second worst attendance record at Town Hall (insidecroydon.com)
- Retired judge handed £35,000 for chairing riots panel (insidecroydon.com)
- Racist article by councillor’s husband is widely condemned (insidecroydon.com)