The Sky Sports-inspired School of Hard Knocks scheme is returning to Warlingham rugby club on July 6.
The Hamsey Green club is staging a rugby match between SOHK, Warlingham and Riddlesdown schools, kick-off 6.30pm. It is the second year in which Warlingham RFC has hosted the initiative, based on the TV series, but aimed at teenagers who are trained over 10 weeks in various skills including discipline, team building and respect.
Regular Sky Sports rugby pundit, SOHK coach and former Wales and Lions forward Scott Quinnell will be the special guest on the evening, which will also see Rugby Premiership trophy, lifted at Twickenham last month by former Warlingham junior player Chris Robshaw. The evening will also be covered by Sky Sports News.
Frank Wright, the Warlingham chairman, said, “School of Hard Knocks is a brilliant initiative which helps young people to appreciate and learn a number of life skills – not just rugby – and we’re really proud to support the programme.”
Entrance to the club is free, and the Warlingham club bar will be open.
- Warlingham’s senior players, who have developed a reputation in the south-east as one of the region’s best Rugby 7s sides, following three successive victories at the annual Bournemouth 7s festival, plan to host a tournament of their own at Hamsey Green next year.
To be staged on Saturday May 4, other local clubs will be invited to field sides. Hillcrest Netball Club, who share the facilities at Hamsey Green, will also be hosting a tournament on the same date.
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon. Not from Redhill.
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Trinity boy Chuter relishes his latest Twickenham showdown (insidecroydon.com)
- Player of the year Robshaw leads Quins to final (insidecroydon.com)
- Croydon Council and the cuts: playing a numbers game (insidecroydon.com)