In case you hadn’t noticed, there’s a bit of sport on this weekend in London. Contributing Editor ANDREW PELLING chose to go to Guernsey for Croydon FC‘s first match of the new season
They do play rugby at Footes Lane. The bad news for Croydon FC is that 8-0 was the football score at the end of a torrid 90 minutes in the summer heat at Combined Counties League new boys Guernsey FC.
Down 3-0 at half-time, Croydon did look equal to the task at times, but here they found themselves up against a side that is favourite to go straight through to the Ryman League.
A penalty shortly after the break on 48 minutes finally took the stuffing out of Croydon. The goal was one of four by Ross Allen.
Croydon looked very vulnerable at the back and the Green Lions sauntered to a further four goals in front of an ecstatic 1,185 crowd.
Coach Fowler now has to pick up his team for the evening match against Dorking at the Croydon Arena on Wednesday.
Meanwhile back at the Arena yesterday, phoenix club AFC Croydon Athletic marked their return to league football with a 2-0 defeat to Westfield.
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- United we stand: looking for a more representative Croydon (insidecroydon.com)
- Council cover-up fails to hide crucial missed riots meeting (insidecroydon.com)
- Council to spend £1m to furnish its new headquarters (insidecroydon.com)