The Barn Theatre, Oxted, is staging an open-air production of the Tony Award-winning musical Parade this Saturday and Sunday, July 27-28.
Parade is the true story of a tragic miscarriage of justice, brought to emotional and theatrical life by acclaimed playwright Alfred Uhry (Driving Miss Daisy), with music by Jason Robert Brown (Songs for a New World and The Last Five Years).
The musical, set in America’s Deep South in 1913, draws on influences from Sondheim and rhythm and blues, ragtime and gospel.
The musical focuses on the evolving relationship between the accused, Leo Frank and his wife, Lucille, who fall in love in the midst of adversity.
This is a tragic and inspiring love story that will stay with you for a long time to come.
First produced on Broadway in 1998, Parade won Tony Awards for best book and best score and six Drama Desk Awards. This was followed by the highly acclaimed production at the Donmar Theatre in London in 2007.
These performances (including a Saturday matinee), by the Barnstormers company, which includes some Croydon am-dram regulars, will be staged outdoors, on the tennis courts of The Larks, next to Oxted’s Barn Theatre, Surrey’s oldest community theatre.
These are preview performances for The Barnstormers’ forthcoming tour to the Minack Theatre (www.minack.com) in Cornwall in August, when the company, with a cast of 60 performers, returns for a fifth time to this world-famous open-air theatre set on the cliffs at Porthcurno. Their previous tour with the musical Jesus Christ Superstar was awarded the most outstanding production of 2010.
All profits from this weekend’s production will be donated to the Barn Theatre’s development fund.
- Tickets are available at www.barntheatreoxted.co.uk (credit/debit card) or by calling 01959 561811. For more information on this production, please visit www.thebarnstormers.co.uk
- “One of the best things about Inside Croydon is its ability to make a tremendously boring story very interesting indeed”
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The best family shows to catch this summer (telegraph.co.uk)
- A Day at the Minack Theatre – Bring a hat and a St Johns Ambulance Team (wombles13.wordpress.com)