Lives Not Knives, the Croydon-based anti-violence campaign, has received a £500 charity donation to assist their work, thanks to a recommendation from Inside Croydon.
The cheque was handed over yesterday by local businesswoman, Petta Naylor, on behalf of the committee that runs The Last Night of the Croydon Proms, the annual end-of-summer concert at the Fairfield Halls which this year is being held on September 28.
Receiving the money on behalf of LNK was its founder, 20-year-old Eliza Rebeiro and Kenneth Owusu.
The Last Night of the Croydon Proms aims to raise funds through the charity gala concert to assist local youth organisations. In the past 22 years, more than £260,000 has been raised for good causes.
Ribeiro is hoping to use the donation to continue LNK’s preventative roadshows that they have delivered to more than 40 Croydon primary schools, where pupils are taught valuable preventative tools and life choices to avoid the possibility of them choosing the option of gang affiliation or weapon carrying.
Naylor, who runs the South Croydon-based events management company Start2Finish Events, said that the Proms organising committee was made aware of LNK’s work by reading this website. “I would like to thank Inside Croydon for highlighting the inspiring and important work being undertaken by Lives Not Knives,” Naylor said.
“If I had not read Inside Croydon I would not have been aware of the value work that this organisation undertakes and would not have been able to suggest them as a beneficiary of funds from The Last Night of the Croydon Proms.”
- For more information about Lives Not Knives: www.livesnotknives.org
- For more information about Last Night of the Croydon Proms: www.lastnightofthepromscroydon.org
- For more information about Start2Finish Events: www.start2finishevents.co.uk
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org