And still the costs of moving the offices into Fisher’s Folly, the shiny glass palace on Cost A Mint Walk to be opened next month by Croydon Council leader Mike Fisher, continue to mount.
On top of the £140 million cost of building the edifice to local government ego and hubris, and the £3million that has been spent on nice new furnishings, last week leading figures on Croydon Council put through a report to recommend the spending of nearly half a million pounds of Council Tax-payers’ cash as a consequence of the office move, which is due to take place this month.
In a report to the Corporate Services Committee submitted by director Sarah Ireland under the auspices of the Tory-run council’s deputy leader, “Cuddly” Dudley Mead, and Steve “Three Jobs” O’Connell, it was agreed to spend £239,000 to relocate the borough’s CCTV control room from the soon-to-be-closed Taberner House, plus a further £177,792 on security for Taberner House once the council staff have moved across to Fisher’s Folly.
That’s another £416,792 – or the equivalent of seven years’ worth of lollipop ladies (sorry, road safety wardens) that Fisher, Mead and O’Connell have axed from helping the borough’s schoolchildren from crossing busy roads.
They say that politics is all about making choices. It is good to see what choices Fisher and his friends continue to make.
Coming to Croydon
- Green Heritage Fair at Heathfield House: Sep 21-22
- Three plays in a pub: The Ship, Sep 24
- Have a cup of coffee and help fight cancer: Sep 27
- Help break the chains of human trafficking: Sep 28
- Tea at Five at the Spread Eagle: Oct 2-4
- Minster’s musical celebration for Silver Sunday: Oct 6
- Rent at the Secombe Theatre: Oct 9-12
- Post your comments on this article below
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Make Sure Your Voice is Heard (uppernorwoodra.wordpress.com)
- Council warned over ceramics auction (bbc.co.uk)
- Clean Up Croydon! (cleanupcroydon.com)