The Save the David Lean Cinema Campaign will complete its 2013 activities with screenings of two films chosen by its membership at the Spread Eagle pub in the next couple of weeks.
Going into 2014, the campaign looks to be the only bearer of the “brand” of Sir David Lean – the Croydon-born Oscar-winning director of Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai – as the council’s suggestions of re-opening its Clocktower venue appear to be the usual empty promises, while the misconceived “David Lean at the Fairfield” nonsense peters out, with no movie screenings planned by Fairfield Halls beyond January.
Both campaign screenings are free to enter – the organisers simply ask that those attending buy a drink or food at the Spread Eagle.
Now You See Me – on Friday December 27 – was a recent box office hit box-office hit and is about a team of illusionists responsible for a succession of bank robberies.
Kolya – on Monday December 30 – is a 1996 Czech film about a carefree bachelor who suddenly acquires a five-year-old stepson. It won the Oscar for best foreign language film.
Both screenings are at 4pm.
“We’re confident that these screenings will be popular as we invited members to select their favourites from a list of proposals,” said Adrian Winchester, the campaign chairman.
“They complete a year in which we will have presented 32 films.
“With no films scheduled at the Fairfield beyond January, it seems the Campaign will be at the forefront of keeping the David Lean ‘brand’ alive in Croydon during 2014.”
For more details, email email@example.com
Coming to Croydon
- Cinema Ruskin: Dec 21
- Surrey Street Christmas market, Dec 22
- Community Carol Service, ACA, Dec 22
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org