The 2013 Swimathon raised £24,000 for local organisations and charities.
The Swimathon is a fun event organised to help local organisations raise the cash they need.
Staged over two nights in February – Saturday February 8 and Thursday February 13 – it gives your team of swimmers the opportunity to gather sponsorship for your organisation or a cause or the charity you select.
Purley Rotary Club takes complete responsibility for running the event.
Swimmers can be friends, colleagues or family members. More than 40 teams and 350 swimmers – aged from six to 83 – took part in February 2013. The Swimathon is not a marathon, but a fun event. No team or individual is being asked to swim an unduly long distance. The event involves a team swimming continuously for 55 minutes with one member of the team being in the water at a time. This means if you have 10 members in your team, each swims one length in turn.
By organising the Purley Swimathon each year, Purley Rotary Club helps more than 30 local organisations, from scout groups, schools, and local and national charities. The total money raised by the Purley Swimathon over the years is now more than £390,000.
Purley Rotary Club is a community led organisation with a long history of serving the local Purley community since 1923. By combining their skills and resources, members of Purley Rotary Club work to make a real contribution to the lives of others.
The club is part of a network made up of more than 1.2 million Rotary members (known as “Rotarians”), with 34,000 Rotary clubs in 200 countries and areas around the world.
Coming to Croydon
- Cinema Ruskin: Dec 21
- Surrey Street Christmas market, Dec 22
- Community Carol Service, ACA, Dec 22
- STDLCC Screening: Now You See Me, Dec 27
- STDLCC Screening: Kolya, Dec 30
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org