The Selsdon walk, which begins at 10.30am, is about five miles, and takes in Little Heath Woods, Heathfield and Croham Hurst. Meet at Sainsbury’s Selsdon (which can be reached by buses 64, T33 and 412 from Croydon). As with all good Ramblers’ Association walks, they provide an Ordnance Survey map grid reference for the starting point – TQ349621 – or for those with sat navs, a post code: CR2 8LG
Ominously, the organisers note: “In event of bad weather, ring leader.” Even Ramblers have ring leaders?
In this case, the walk’s leader is “Veronica P”, and she can be reached on 020 8651 4983 or 07958 133865.
The Coulsdon Common walk starts at 10am and is about six miles long. The ramblers meet at the public car park 100 yards beyond The Fox public house (near the 404 and 466 bus routes to Caterham). The walk will go across Coulsdon Common to Kenley Airfield and return via Surrey National Golf Course and edge of Chaldon.
Start point is grid reference TQ317567 or post code CR3 5QB
The organiser of this walk is “Richard S” on 020 8651 4921.
Obviously, given the very wet weather there has been over the past fortnight, anyone taking part in these walks needs to be dressed appropriately for the likely conditions.
The Croydon Ramblers’ Association organises walks most Wednesdays and weekends. This week, they also have a nine-mile hike on Thursday, January 9, starting at Riddlesdown Common at 10am, and there is an Sunday afternoon five-mile walk around Chelsham and Halliloo Valley on Sunday, January 19.
The walks are intended for Ramblers’ Association members, but non-members are very welcome to join the walks as guests on two or three walks, though if you walk with a group regularly, quite reasonably you will be expected to join the Ramblers.
- For more information: www.ramblers.co.uk/walksfinder/walkInfo.php
Coming to Croydon
- STDLCC Screening: Museum Hours, Jan 13
- “Croydon Communities Consortium” meeting, Jan 14
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Jan 16
- STDLCC Screening: The East, Jan 20
- STDLCC Screening: Winter Nomads, Jan 27
- Babylon at the Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 4-6
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org