When Mark Steel resigned from the Socialist Workers’ Party, he was declaimed for having a “kind of grandiose ignorance”, surely the only time that a Crystal Palace-supporting stand-up comedian has been accused of ignorance…
Next month, Steel is In Town in Croydon. Watch out, Gary Barlow MP.
In Town is Steel’s highly acclaimed and award-winning BBC Radio 4 show, in which the comedian takes a look at the history and attitudes of the town in which he is performing. Steel often appeals to locals on Twitter for their stories and anecdotes about their home town, making each show unique.
Steel’s performance on February 12 at the Ashcroft Theatre – what councillor Cuddly Dudley Mead wants to re-name the Riesco Theatre – may not require quite so much input from Twitter for the south Londoner who in 2000 stood in the London Assembly election for Croydon and Sutton.
“He’s a man with a passionate desire to communicate his ideas, who is also very funny,” according to The Guardian, the newspaper which Steel says dropped his weekly column because he refused to write Blairite tosh.
Booking details for Steel’s In Town in Croydon can be found on the Fairfield Halls website.
- £1bn property schemes, landowners and proper role of MPs
- It’s official: Croydon is the most miserable part of London
- Barwell given a lesson from economics professor on Twitter
- Arise Sir Tricky Dicky Ottaway – Croydon’s dark knight
- Desperately devious: Barwell appeals to women of Addiscombe
Coming to Croydon
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Jan 16
- Croydon Ramblers, Chelsham walk, Jan 19
- STDLCC Screening: The East, Jan 20
- STDLCC Screening: Winter Nomads, Jan 27
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Feb 3
- Babylon at the Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 4-6
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Mr Pooter comes to Croydon, Feb 20-22
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org