The Norwood Society, which stages its next monthly talk at Upper Norwood Library next week, has released details of its full programme for the rest of 2014.
Norwood Society local history talks are held on the third Thursday of the month, starting at 7.30pm. Entry is free, but a donation towards the cost of tea and cakes would be appreciated. Upper Norwood Library is at Westow Hill, SE19 1TJ.
March 20: West Norwood Cemetery
Colin Fenn of Friends of West Norwood Cemetery will introduce the history of the cemetery, some of the people buried there and the magnificent monuments to be seen within.
April 17: The Crystal Palace
Phillip Emery of the Crystal Palace Foundation will share with us his comprehensive knowledge of the building that shaped the local community in the 19th century.
May 15: West Norwood – a place of change
Norwood Society member, Alun Thomas will talk about the historical development of the centre of West Norwood over time including some of the businesses there.
June 19: The Concrete Church and the Bevingtons
Norwood Society Chairman, Richard Lines will introduce us to this pioneering building in Waldegrave Road and the closely connected Bevington family who are also associated with Bermondsey.
September 18: Local War Memorials
As part of our contribution to Lambeth’s Heritage Month and the theme of World War One, Norwood Society member Jerry Green will introduce us to the memorials of the area and some of the people who are remembered on them.
October 16: From Fire Station to Theatre
Bob Callender of the South London Theatre Centre will relate the history of West Norwood’s old fire station, the fire service and the transformation into the Theatre Centre.
November 20: Lambeth’s Archives
Zoe Darani, archivist, from Lambeth Archives will introduce us to the vast wealth of material about Norwood and the Borough of Lambeth which are held in the Archives.
December 18: Party Night
Join us to celebrate the last year’s meetings and a chance to revisit some of the items of interest in early copies of the Norwood Review.
All enquiries to email@example.com
Coming to Croydon
- March of the Mods at Oval Tavern for Teenage Cancer Trust, Mar 16
- St Patrick’s Night celebration, Ruskin House, Mar 17
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Mar 15
- South Norwood Lakes Playground group workshop, Mar 25
- David Lean Cinema: Basically Johnny Moped, Mar 27-28
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
- David Lean Cinema: 12 Years a Slave, Apr 3
- David Lean Cinema: The Great Beauty, Apr 10
- David Lean Cinema: Inside Llewyn Davis, Apr 17
- Opening of Marlpit Lane bowling and putting greens, Apr 17
- Arts and Crafts Market, Exchange Square, Apr 19
- David Lean Cinema: Short Term, Apr 24
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 516,649 page views (Jan-Dec 2013)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org