The Whitgift Centre has an artist in residence, Hale Man, who on June 14 will be staging a day of special events in which the public – of all ages – are invited to take part.
Man has had her work exhibited or conducted workshops previously at the National Portrait Gallery, the London Transport Museum and the Museum of London, and she spent four years managing Creative Circles, which provided community arts activities for children with Special Educational Needs and their families in Croydon.
She was given the Whitgift residency after she’d written to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, seeking a venue to rehouse one of her works that had been on display at the Museum of London. “I was invited to City Hall where I met Andrew Bauer the Director of the Whitgift Centre,” Man said.
“That meeting led to this fantastic opportunity to being sponsored with a pop-up space at the Whitgift Centre for a year until March 2015. I plan to use this shop unit as my studio, art gallery, workshop space, events space, training space for volunteers etc.. . Also to raise funds towards building audiences to respond to my artwork and the aspect of engaging with the public is an element of my artwork,” she said.
Man has already started some community project work, with children during the May half-term week, and her intention is to display art from the various projects from February or March next year.
“My latest idea, Elements of Transformation, is part of my research and development of my art practice in metal installation and sculpture through the theme of feng shui and the five elements and animal symbolism.”
She says that she is keen to explore “new partnerships and collaborations with arts networks in Croydon and London-wide”.
She is seeking volunteers to help with the various projects.
- A week tomorrow, June 14, she will be staging a day of special events from 10am to 5pm, and there is also an on-going arts competition.
- Further details can be found on her website www.hale-man.com
Coming to Croydon
- An Improvised Murder, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 7
- Old Town residents’ meeting, June 7
- Shabden Park Farm, Chipstead, open day, June 8
- Crystal Palace Transition Town annual meeting, June 11
- Old Town residents’ meeting, June 11
- David Lean Cinema: Under The Skin, June 12
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Croydon Green Fair, North End, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- David Lean Cinema: Suzanne, June 19
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com