It hasn’t even started yet, but some football fans are already recoiling from the horrifying prospect of a month of wall-to-wall World Cup television fronted by Adrian Chiles, Lee Dixon and… yes, it has to be confronted… Roy Keane.
The ITV’s panel of pundits is far removed from the halcyon days when Jimmy Hill tried to coral together the opinionated views of Brian Clough, Malcolm Allison and Paddy Crerand. Here at Inside Croydon Towers, we actually don’t think Chiles is the problem – even if he did attract more than 5,000 complaints after the first broadcast of the last World Cup four years ago for his “embarrassing” performance.
Try as Chiles might, on a channel which still considers Andy Townsend as a serious option as a co-commentator, too often it seems a case of the bland leading the bland.
It’s going to be a long month if we have to try to watch half the games with the mute button switched on.
Jim Daly, one of the editorial team at the Crystal Palace fanzine Five-Year Plan with a sideline in stand-up comedy, has had enough.
He has taken to song (oh, yes, things must be really bad…).
See what you think:
Coming to Croydon
- Crystal Palace Transition Town annual meeting, June 11
- Old Town residents’ meeting, June 11
- David Lean Cinema: Under The Skin, June 12
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Croydon Green Fair, North End, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- David Lean Cinema: Suzanne, June 19
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org