Albert’s Table, on South End, has been described by Inside Croydon as “probably Croydon’s best restaurant”.
Since Albert’s Table opened its doors in 2008 it has built a superb reputation for excellent food and it continues to grow in stature, challenging central London restaurants on quality, style, service and, most of all, price.
Chef and owner Joby Wells didn’t always want to be a chef. After high school he went to university, graduating in mechanical engineering. It was while studying he worked as a commis chef in the kitchens of the halls of residence, and it was here that he realised what he wanted to do.
He started working in some of the best kitchens that London had to offer, including the Oxo Tower and La Trompette. After seven years in a high-pressure cooking environment, Wells decided that the time was right to strike out on his own.
Albert’s Table is listed in both the Michelin and Hardens food guides, competing with the Michelin-starred restaurants in which Wells learned his trade so many years ago.
Wells and his team change the menu daily and the wine list regularly. They are constantly trying to innovate and improve. The menus consist of a small yet complete offering with four or five dishes to choose from for each course. The ingredients for each are carefully and ethically sourced, as locally as possible. Even from the descriptions it is easy to see that each dish is quality, created with passion and thought for you to enjoy.
The prices are fixed for two or three courses, though there are supplements for some of the dishes, and wine is available by the glass, the carafe or the bottle. Truly offering something for everyone.
“For me good food is all about the ingredients, and I don’t mean the truffles and the foie gras,” Wells said. “If you spend a little time and effort getting
good quality meat, fish and vegetables, then even the lowliest ingredient have the potential to produce a great dish at a sensible budget.”
And you can tell that Wells has taken the time and the effort to make Albert’s Table that something special. This restaurant has become something of a south London landmark. But it is surprising how many people either have not been, or worse still, not even heard of it.
To make sure that you don’t miss out, Joby Wells and the Albert’s Table team would like to make the readers of Inside Croydon a special offer. Join him and his team for dinner on any Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday until September 18 and your table of two to four people can enjoy a complimentary glass of wine each.
- To book please call the restaurant on 020 8680 2010 and to take up the offer, please mention that you have seen this article, and bring a printed copy of this page with you.
- For more information, menus and opening hours, please visit www.albertstable.co.uk
- Visit Albert’s Table on Facebook
- Follow Albert’s Table on Twitter
*Terms and conditions
This offer is valid up to and including Thu 18 September, 2014. Offer only valid for dinner service on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Minimum of two diners, maximum of four. Diners must state that this voucher will be used when making the booking with Albert’s Table. Please ask your server for more details. Wine to choose from is at the discretion of Albert’s Table. Offer available only on presentation of this printed article. One offer redeemable per table per visit. One offer per transaction. Voucher cannot be changed, is not transferable and no cash alternatives are available. Voucher has no monetary value. Participants must over 18. Prices vary. Offer subject to availability. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offers.
Coming to Croydon
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 6
- David Lean Cinema: Grand Budapest Hotel, Aug 7
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 13
- David Lean Cinema: The Wind Rises, Aug 14
- Mind-Loosing Workshop, Aug 16
- David Lean Cinema: The Love Punch, Aug 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Aug 16
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 20
- David Lean Cinema: Stop The Pounding Heart, Aug 21
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 27
- David Lean Cinema: Frank, Aug 28
- Upper Norwood Library well-being groups, Aug 30
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com