St Andrew’s Church, Southbridge Road, is seeking volunteers keen to do a couple of hours of community gardening in the churchyard each month.
The church is historically notable as being where the artist Cicely Mary Barker worshipped regularly; last month we reported how one of the tree fairies artist’s larger, commissioned works was unveiled on permanent exhibition in the church.
Parishioners and some of the older pupils at St Andrew’s High School have already been invited to assist with the churchyard garden, but the request for help is open to anyone who wants some exercise in a “green gym”. No gardening expertise is necessary, just a willingness to lend a hand for an hour or so once a month.
The vicar of St Andrew’s, Wealands Bell, said, “At the moment, the work is dull and wintry, mainly weeding and tidying, with maybe a bit of tree care between leaf fall and sap rise (as I believe it’s known).
“But come the spring there will be planters and borders to fill with new growth, the grass to be cut and so on. Churchwarden David Matthews oversees the garden and he is usually there on the first Saturday of the month from 10am till noon.”
The next scheduled churchyard garden session will be on Saturday, December 6. Anyone wanting any more information about how to help, or for other news about the town centre church, contact Rev Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Coming to Croydon
- Wandle Park community garden work day, Nov 16
- Streatham-Croydon women’s rugby training, Frant Road, Nov 16
- NCT Croydon Christmas Fair, St Mark’s Purley, Nov 16
- Personal safety training for volunteers, Nov 17
- David Lean Cinema, Effie Gray, Nov 20
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- David Lean Cinema, Lilting, Nov 22
- Streatham-Croydon women’s rugby training, Frant Road, Nov 23
- David Lean Cinema, Wakolda, Nov 27
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- Coulsdon Yulefest, Dec 6-7
- Oval Tavern Folk Club, Dec 7
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- Friends of the Earth Green Beanfeast, Dec 15 (book by Dec 1)
- Norwood Society talk: Penge, the making of a suburb, Jan 15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
- Norwood Society talk: Crystal Palace and Dulwich, Feb 19
- Norwood Society talk: Charlies Dickens in Norwood, Mar 19
- Norwood Society: Balloons and airships at Crystal Palace, Apr 16
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com