There is always something very poignant about the Race for Life, in which most of the thousands of women runners, joggers, pram-pushers and walkers all have a number card pinned to the backs of their pink vests and T-shirts. This card doesn’t carry a numeral but usually a name – that of someone close to them who was lost to cancer.
The event will be coming back to Lloyd Park in Croydon this summer, with the latest staging of the Cancer Research UK Race for Life on Sunday, July 10.
Around 4,000 have taken part in the event each year, raising vital funds to help find a cure for cancer, having a fun day out, and perhaps even getting themselves a little bit fitter along the way.
And with six months’ notice and with a choice of two distances – 5km, a little more than three miles, and 10km – there’s plenty of scope to use the Race for Life as the goal for that fitness programme that maybe began in the New Year and now, into February, needs a little nudge in the right direction.
Entry fees are £15, but the organisers also want you to raise as much sponsorship money as you can.
There will be plenty of company, pre-event warm-ups and music, and a course through one of the most beautiful open spaces in London.
The Croydon Race for Life is on Sunday, July 10, starting at 11am.
- More details of the Croydon event can be found by clicking here
- There is also a Race for Life at Crystal Palace on June 12
- And a special muddy run with obstacles in Brockwell Park on Oct 1
And if you are new to running and want to hook up with a local group of more experienced runners to help you along, or fancy measuring your progress in the Beddington NightRun or in one of the weekly 5km Park Runs that take place in Lloyd Park, on Roundshaw Downs or in Banstead Woods, then click here for more details.
- Still Croydon’s only independent news source, and based in the heart of the borough: 1.97 million page views 2013-2015
- Inside Croydon: Named among best regional media campaigns, 2014
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com