A pair of spectacles belonging to Churchill – the wartime Prime Minister, not the insurance company’s nodding dog – are the highlight lot in the latest auction to be staged at Farleigh Golf Club next month, on December 6 (with viewings on December 5).
Auctioneer Catherine Southon is including a pair of Sir Winston Churchill’s tortoiseshell spectacles made by his opticians CW Dixey & Sons in her Christmas auction next Wednesday, December 6.The full-rimmed round glasses with white dot to tip of each arm, contained within a leather spectacle case embossed CW Dixey & Son London 1777, together with a typed statement from a company director, Mr P. Varnes, verifying that the spectacles were made for Winston Churchill and claiming, “usually three pairs of spectacles were made to Churchill’s prescription and kept at the Cavendish Square showroom, later the Wigmore Street practice. After Churchill’s death CW Dixey had three pairs of Churchill’s spectacles still in their possession. It is believed one pair were given to Chartwell, one pair auctioned in 2011 and this is the final pair.”
Churchill was very fond of his distinctive eye-wear – either half-eye or the fully round style which wear tailored for specific purposes and marked accordingly. The metal dots in the corner of the frame indicate its purpose – one dot for reading only and two dots for speeches, but he also had specially made glasses for sketching, painting, or card playing.
Southon said: “We expect a lot of interest both here and abroad as Churchill memorabilia is always very collectible.”
A catalogue for the whole of the auction will be available from end November. For more details, visit www.catherinesouthon.co.uk. The sale can be previewed at Farleigh Golf Club on December 5 (9.30am to 5pm) and the morning of the sale.
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon Events: for the most comprehensive community events listings, updated daily
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org