Palace for Life Foundation, the official charity of Crystal Palace football club, has confirmed that it will again be staging its Marathon March this year.
The inaugural sponsored walk, staged last October, saw more than 100 people take part over the full distance of the marathon – 26 miles 385 yards – with Palace ex-players Andrew Johnson and Andy Gray among them. The event raised £67,280 to support the Foundation’s work with young south Londoners.
In 2018, the event will be held on Saturday October 13, and Johnson has confirmed that he will be taking part. “From start to finish, the 2017 Marathon March was a truly special day, and one that made me incredibly proud to be involved with Crystal Palace FC,” Johnson said.
“The atmosphere and camaraderie was great throughout and kept us all going, especially through those tough final few miles!
“We raised a huge amount to support the fantastic work the Palace for Life Foundation does in the community, but it would be great to see even more Palace fans joining us next year and I’d encourage everyone to sign up.”
Beginning at Selhurst Park and finishing in Trafalgar Square, the route takes in some great London landmarks, and also some not so famous, as when it passes Fulham’s ground, Craven Cottage.
The Marathon March is a non-competitive, social event where the primary aim is to raise money for Palace for Life Foundation, who work with more than 13,000 of the most hard-to-reach young people each year in the communities around Selhurst Park.
All participants are asked to commit to raising a minimum of £300 each in sponsorship and all those that do will see their name printed in the Palace match-day programme and on the Palace for Life website.
Register your interest in taking part here and the Foundation will follow up with further details closer to the event.
- For less than the cost of an overpriced coffee each month, you can help to support local journalism and get a range of benefits and exclusive offers as well. Click here to sign-up as an Inside Croydon donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com