The Croydon Photography Forum returns next month with Gavin Hoey, the international photography trainer and Olympus ambassador, as the special guest speaker.
The meeting, on Tuesday, February 13, will take a slightly different direction, with Hoey staging a short workshop called “Lighten Up!”
His presentation will consist of a demonstration of some great ways that you can light your photos. All the photography and post-processing is done live and consists of a wide variety of photo subjects, from candles to portrait photography.
Lee Townsend, the organiser of the Croydon Photography Forum, says, “Gavin is known for keeping things simple, which means that after seeing his presentation you are very unlikely to feel the need to go out and spend lots of money on new specialist equipment.”
Hoey’s work is regularly featured in photography magazines, websites and videos. “He has a real passion for sharing his photography and Photoshop knowledge,” Townsend says.
“In 2008 he started recording and uploading video tutorials to YouTube. These quickly gained a large following and to date his videos have been viewed more than 20 million times.”
In 2010, Hoey was the winner of Adobe’s “Next Photoshop Evangelist” competition and since then he has given training demonstrations in Photoshop, Lightroom and Photoshop Elements in the UK, Europe and the US. In 2012 Gavin joined forces with Adorama as a presenter on Adorama TV, where he inspires and teaches photographers from around the world in the art of photography and post-processing.
“Clearly this is a great opportunity to hear from an extremely popular and in-demand trainer so we encourage you to book your space right now,” says Townsend.
“At all of the photography clubs that Gary regularly visits across the UK there is a charge to attend. However, in keeping with our tradition at the Croydon Photography Forum, we will not be charging an attendance fee as such but asking for an optional donation to assist with covering Gavin’s fees and the other costs associated with running the event.”
The Croydon Photography Forum meets each month at CVA Resource Centre, 82 London Road, CR0 2TB.
The Forum has also released details of its sessions for the next three months.
March 13: Tee Max – A documentary photographer with an extensive archive of images feature the pioneers of Hip Hop.
April 10: The Living Free Collective – Living Free is a grassroots group based in south London with a number of members that use photography as a medium of expression.
May 8: Frazer Ashford – A Croydon-based event photographer who has been covering concerts and theatre for more than 50 years.
Make a note in your diaries now.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- “Excellent scandal-digging”: Patrick Kidd, The Times political diary columnist
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org