The Kenley Revival project is coming into Croydon town centre this Saturday in the latest event to celebrate the role of women at the historic airfield and during World War II.
“To celebrate our Women in War season we are hosting an event in Croydon where you can learn all about the significant role women in Kenley had to play in the Home Front along with the ingenuity of the ‘keep calm and carry on’ and ‘make do and mend’ mentality,” they say.
The free event, “Kenley’s Home Front – Life during the War and today”, takes place from 11am to 3pm at TURF Projects arts space on the ground floor of the Whitgift Centre.
“Learn about life during the War in Kenley and take part in rationing activities, gain ideas about recycling and use spare materials to make fun toys along with learning workshops for children.
“There will also be activities with a modern twist to show how the behaviours of the time can affect us now in terms of environmentalism and recycling – do you think the attitudes of our wartime past could impact us today?”
There will also be two children’s workshops, hosted by dramatist Jenny Lockyer, where kids get the chance to imagine flying halfway around the world in their own aircraft – just as Croydon’s most famous aviator, Amy Johnson, did in her Gipsy Moth biplane, Jason.
“Groups will find out the basics of flight and be inspired by the designs of DaVinci, The Wright Brothers, DeHavilland and more!”
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SPONSOR: You can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon for less than a fiver per month. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com