The Croydon Male Voice Choir is holding an open evening at the Sandilands club in Addiscombe this Thursday, March 15. So, men, if you have ever fancied singing in choir, this is the ideal opportunity to find out if it is for you.
The choir was formed nearly 50 years ago, and regularly performs with around 60 singers, becoming a firm favourite in the Croydon community. It performs a wide range of numbers, from showbiz to folk to pop classics to the great hymns and anthems. It stages around 10 concerts a year, in and around Croydon.
No prior musical knowledge is required for new recruits and there is no formal audition, only an informal voice test after a few weeks of starting.
The open evening on Thursday starts at 8pm with a welcome from choir music director, Richard Hoyle. The choir then sings five contrasting pieces from its current repertoire, followed by a short explanation of the learning process. Then guests get the chance to sing a short piece with the choir.
Choir chair Kim Ormond will talk about the life of the choir, which prides itself on being open, inclusive and fun. Following a further brief sing, members and guests can repair to the club bar.
If you would like to give the choir a try, just turn up on the evening and you will be made welcome. The Sandilands club is by the junction of Sandilands and Grimwade Avenue in Addiscombe. Doors (and bar) open at 7.30pm.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SPONSOR: You can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon for less than a fiver per month. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com