Screen25, the community-run film club in South Norwood, has launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for a new digital projector.
Katie Brandwood, Screen25’s director, said, “We need a new projector urgently to secure the future of our screenings in South Norwood. We currently rely on a second-hand projector which was lent to us when we lost our old venue last year, and the time has come for us to return it to its owners.
“We need to raise £4,505 by mid-April and are using an all-or-nothing platform, meaning we will only get the money if we reach our target. We are asking for the support of our friends and partners; people who have been part of the magic and already believe in what we are doing.”
The film club’s screenings continue most Wednesday evenings at the Harris Academy South Norwood, with the programme for April just released. It includes a Thursday “Bring Along Baby” screening of the Grace Jones biopic which is a feature presentation at the end of this month.
- Inside Croydon supporters get a £2 discount off their tickets when they book using the unique code which they receive when they sign up as supporters.
All films are at 7.45pm, £5 – £8.50 (£2.50 off tickets for members; £2 off for Inside Croydon subscribers) and held at Harris Academy South Norwood, SE25 6AE, unless otherwise stated
Screen25 Film Club programme: April
Wed Apr 4 – LOVELESS (15)
2017 Drama 122min, Dir: Andrey Zvyagintsev
Andrey Zvyagintsev presents a pitiless critique of a morally and emotionally frozen society, about a 12-year-old Russian boy who disappears after witnessing the umpteenth fight between his estranged parents.
Thu Apr 5 – GRACE JONES – BLOODLIGHT & BAMI (15)
2017 Documentary 115min, Director: Sophie Fiennes
Parent and baby screening of Sophie Fiennes’ sensational portrait of Jamaican superstar Grace Jones.
Wed Apr 11 – THE DEATH OF STALIN (15)
2017 Comedy 104min, Director: Armando Iannucci
See the film that Russia has banned from its cinemas! Armando Iannucci’s satirical comedy follows the Soviet dictator’s last days and depicts the chaos of the regime after his death.
Wed Apr 18 – EVEN WHEN I FALL (12A)
2018 Documentary 93min, Directors: Kate Mclarnon and Sky Neal
Once child slaves in Indian circuses, Sheetal and Saraswoti decide to reclaim their skills forming together Nepal’s first circus. A documentary about inspirational young people who have challenged social stigma against trafficked women.
The film’s screening is followed by a panel discussion.
Sat Apr 21 – FAMILY FILM CLUB: SONG OF THE SEA (PG) – 11am
2014 Animation 93min, Director: Tomm Moore
Ben and his little sister Saoirse embark on a fantastic journey across a fading world of ancient legend in an attempt to return to their home by the sea. A beautiful animation inspired by Irish folklore.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com