Grace Jones has fascinated, perplexed and delighted for almost 40 years. Is she a singer? Actor? Performance art?
The biographical documentary, Bloodlight & Bami, the directorial debut of Sophie Fiennes (full name, Sophia Victoria Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, and yes, she is the sister of actors Ralph and Joseph and related to explorer Ranulph) makes a solid attempt at capturing some aspect of Jones’s essence.
But did we say perplexing? “Jones looks like a mix of Liza Minnelli in Cabaret and Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator,” according to one perplexed reviewer.
Grace Jones: Bloodlight & Bami is one of the offerings next month at Screen25, the South Norwood film club. The film is “a celebration of her musicality and extraterrestrial scariness, and a reminder that films about female singing stars need not be gallant tributes to tragically doomed fragility,” The Guardian said.
Jones is not the only movie at Screen25 next month where dance and Jamaica are prime influences. Bruk Out! follows six dancers from around the globe as they prepare for the world’s biggest Dancehall Queen competition.
Also being shown next month is the intriguing drama, The Killing Of A Sacred Deer.
And like all films shown at Screen25, ticket prices are a bargain.
Inside Croydon sponsors get a £2 discount off their tickets when they book using the unique code which they receive when they sign up as supporters.
All films are at 7.45pm, £5 – £8.50 (£2.50 off tickets for members; £2 off for Inside Croydon subscribers) and held at Harris Academy South Norwood, SE25 6AE, unless otherwise stated
Screen25 Film Club programme: March
Wed Mar 7 – BRUK OUT! (15)
2017 Documentary 69min, Dir: Cory Wapnowski
Get ready for International Women’s Day with a fearless documentary exploring the raw and energetic world of Jamaican Dancehall culture, seen through the eyes of the women at its very heart.
Wed Mar 14 – THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (15)
2017 Drama 121min, Dir: Yorgos Lanthimos
A well-respected surgeon takes a sinister young man under his wing, with devastating consequences.
Wed Mar 21 – CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (15)
2017 Romantic Drama 132min, Dir: Luca Guadagnino
Italy, 1983. 17-year old coltish Elio and handsome American student Oliver find themselves spending a summer together. Soon they will be overwhelmed by a burning passion for each other.
Wed Mar 28 – GRACE JONES: BLOODLIGHT & BAMI (15)
2017 Documentary 115mins, Dir: Sophie Fiennes
Sophie Fiennes’ sensational portrait of Jamaican superstar Grace Jones. An intimate and electrifying journey that takes us behind the mask to explore the fascinating world of this pop cultural phenomenon.
- For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon, and save money every time you go to a Screen25 film. It’s just one of a range of benefits and exclusive offers. Click here to sign-up as an Inside Croydon supporter
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org